Career Strategy Fellowships Study Abroad Summer Session

Other Opportunities

You are here

Whether you're searching for an alternative to the Light Fellowship or looking for other ways to study abroad, do research, or work in East Asia, there are many funding opportunities available to you, both at Yale and through national competitions.


    You may also be interested in these opportunities to study or work in East Asia after graduation.

        Parker Huang Fellowship: Supports a year of study, research or work abroad
        Yung Wing Scholarship: Supports an academic year of language study or completion of an advanced degree in China
        Schwarzman Scholars: Provides full funding for an academic year of international studies at Tsinghua University
        Yenching Academy: Provides full funding for an academic year of China studies at Peking University
        Luce Scholars Program: Provides placement at a 10-month internship in Asia
Princeton in Asia: Provides students in fellowships and internships in various organizations across Asia

    Search the Yale Student Grants Database to learn more.

Other Opportunities & Sources of Funding at Yale:

Council on East Asian Studies

International Study Award

Yale-China Programs

Yale Fellowships and Funding

Other Opportunities & Sources of Funding Outside of Yale:

The 100,000 Strong Foundation
Provides funds for students to study in China

The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
Provides funding for U.S. undergraduates who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two- or four-year college or university

Blakemore Fellowships
Supports an academic year abroad in full-time intensive language study, for college graduates and young professionals

Boren Scholarships
Includes funding for Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean

Bridging Scholarships
Offers scholarships to American undergraduate students participating in study abroad programs in Japan

Chinese Language Fellowship Program
Fellowships for American PhD students in political science so that they can devote one year to intensive Chinese language training at an institution of the fellow’s choice, generally in China or Taiwan.

The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program
Offers funding for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, among other critical languages identified; for American undergraduate and graduate students

Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships
Offers support for both academic year and summer language training. FLAS funding is available for the study of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean

Freeman-Asia Awards
Provides scholarships for U.S. undergraduate students with demonstrated financial need to study abroad in East or Southeast Asia

The National Bureau of Asian Research Chinese Language Fellowship Program 
Provides fellowships to American PhD students for one year of intensive Chinese language training in China or Taiwan.